Saturday, June 9, 2012

The Other Side of Life

JoAnne was cremated on Thursday. I gathered with the kids and was given the opportunity to press the button that starts the process. The moments that bring tears are interesting. I know I was crying because JoJo's physical being was leaving us. But a part of me was also crying over the $900 cremation casket we bought yesterday that was on its way to ashes. We were told that in some cultures it is tradition for the oldest son to flip the switch. In true Scandinavian fashion, Ryan took a couple of quick steps back declaring, "Nyaah. I'm good."

Wednesday, I spent some time with JoAnne at the funeral home. I showed her the items we thought she needed to take along. Some thread, buttons and a pattern for Halloween costumes so she can get back to the sewing she loved so much. A drawing each from grandkids Torben and Delcy. JoJo full time day cared Torben for the first two years of his life, and would have done so for Delcy had she felt better. We added a prayer card from City Church that included the reminder, "Do not be afraid". JoJo loved to do laundry... I'm serious. So we sent a dryer sheet. We included her VISA card, but not before I made certain she understood that I was decreasing her spending limit. JoJo loved her Boston Terriers. Our first was Yoda who developed cancer and died around the same time that JoAnne was initially diagnosed in 1998. Then there was Opus and for the last 9 years, Fenway has been by her side. Ironically, Fennie is showing signs of serious illness. We hope not and he is chugging along ok, but his health is next on the list to check out. For now, we sent one of his treats with JoJo.      

Years ago, Marc Cohn wrote a song entitled True Companion. I love the song, framed the lyrics and gave them to JoJo as a gift. She was not blessed with the most romantic husband, but in this case I hit the right chord. It became our song that we danced to at weddings and special events. In some tough times, we just listened while we held each other. I included a copy of the lyrics as a travelling gift for JoJo.

True Companion
Marc Cohn

Baby I`ve been searching like everybody else
Can`t say nothing different about myself
Sometimes I`m an angel
And sometimes I`m cruel
And when it comes to love
I`m just another fool
Yes, I`ll climb a mountain
I`m gonna swim the sea
There ain`t no act of God girl
Could keep you safe from me
My arms are reaching out
Out across this canyon
I`m asking you to be my true companion

So don`t you dare and try to walk away
I`ve got my heart set on our wedding day
I`ve got this vision of a girl in white
Made my decision that it`s you allright
And when I take your hand
I`ll watch my heart set sail
I`ll take my trembling fingers
And I`ll lift up your veil
Then I`ll take you home
And with wild abandon
Make love to you just like a true companion
  
When the years have done irreparable harm
I can see us walking slowly arm in arm
Just like the couple on the corner do
`Cause girl I will always be in love with you
And when I look in your eyes
I`ll still see that spark
Until the shadows fall
Until the room grows dark
Then when I leave this Earth
I`ll be with the angels standin`
I`ll be out there waiting for my true companion
Just for my true companion
** 
You will never walk alone JoJo. Soon again we will be with the angels standin’.
With all my love, Kevin

Keep the faith  

2 comments:

  1. Kevin your love for each other lives. You are amazing people who do show the rest of us what true love is all about. God is with all of you.
    Take care of yourself now. And the dog!

    Carolyn D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin
    This is so sweet. I have walked in your shoes, and I can actually say " I know how you feel" . Your JoJo will be in your heart now and forever
    Leatrice

    ReplyDelete