Monday, May 23, 2011

Nothing Comes Easy in 4B

The JoJo Report
Flush Twice?
Cellphone Follies
Window Gazing

Day 6 and Dr. McClune came by to update us. Actually, only me since JoAnne is still sawin' logs. A pseudomonas infection has been identified and aggressively treated. She is getting 2 units of blood as her hemoglobin is down to 8. That reduces the oxygen carrying capacity of the blood and leads to fatigue. Normal is 12-16 and they typically transfuse at 8. She also received platelets this morning.

She was loaded up with a ton of fluids to boost her blood pressure during Saturday's event when her temp spiked to 105.2. Now it has to be removed, but not so fast the pressure falls. She is on a diuretic and a Foley catheter was placed when she was in the ICU so she doesn't have to make trips to the potty. Not that she could right now anyway. They don't like to have lines in the patient as they are at a higher risk for infection, but you do what is necessary. The goal is to get her clear headed enough that she can ambulate. Lying in bed increases pneumonia risk among other things. The sooner they get the Foley out, the better.

Her kidney function is improving. When the body experiences low blood pressure, it automatically starts to shift more blood to the most vital organs as a protective mechanism. The brain and heart are at the top of the list. Kidneys are lower priority. On Saturday, blood chemistry measurements showed her kidney function decreasing. It raised concerns about kidney failure, but indications are we dodged that bullet.

In the last hour, we have seen some signs of improvement. JoJo asked me if her brain was fried which suggests she is becoming more coherent. Physical Therapy came by for a little exercise. She is not fond of PT because they are usually perky athletic types. I try to warn them. She cooperated today. We got her to sit up in bed for awhile and even walk a few steps. She has had a low grade fever today bouncing around between normal and 100. With the blood transfusion, she is up over 101 again. Let's see if we can keep that in line shall we.

I am never quite sure how much detail I should share about JoJo's daily experiences. I know just enough to be dangerous and probably share too much for some and not enough for others. This is such a multifactorial process, there is no way I can possibly communicate it properly. They modify one factor and it affects 5 others. I find google very helpful in answering many of my questions. Also, don't hesitate to drop me an email if you have a question. I will do my best to get an answer for you.
I have been trying to imagine why a sign like this is taped to the wall in JoAnne's bathroom. Even more curious, why rainbow colors? What is the real story? "We are pumping weapons grade toxins through your body in an attempt to kill those pesky cancer cells, but God forbid that stuff be allowed to adulterate our plumbing system. Better to flush twice and make sure it gets to the river."

It's always something. Isn't that the truth? Last night, my grandson sent me a text message through an iPhone app. He's 4 and will probably want an iPhone soon. Not my kid. Not my problem. He sends me the message, and for some reason it keeps cycling. The message was sent 26 times before I was able to get home, corral the phone and get it to stop trying to connect with me. Even then it locked up my phone somehow and kept resetting it about once a minute. I had to turn it off, but not before I notified the Unit at the hospital that I would be on a different number. And not to worry, because JoAnne wasn't making calls anytime soon. Why does this happen now?

Long story short, JoJo did try to call in her impaired state. Multiple times. When she finally got me on Kelly's phone which I had borrowed, she was one teed off hombre'. And a heavily medicated one at that. I wish the conversation was recorded for posterity. No harm done. I just took it out on the perky Verizon rep. Her first instinct was to try and sell me a new phone when I'm in a hurry and I don't have our account password because the only person who knows it is unconscious in the hospital. It was quite a demonstration of a needs based sales approach. Not! I found one of our old phones at home, and a more helpful soul got me functional and out the door in 10 minutes.

We've had some pretty heavy weather the last few days, but it's going on 7 PM and there is some bright sunshine finally breaking through. As I sit in JoAnne's room, looking towards the river and immersed in deep thought, I ask myself, "When are they ever going to get around to washing the outside of the windows on this place?" I have noticed this deficiency since we started coming here, but I live with it since it is a state funded institution. Plus, what other choice do I have? And really, who would want to be a window washer at a hospital? Looking through windows at all those sick people in compromising and immodest circumstances. Not me. Maybe its time for me to just close the blinds and go home. 

Keep the faith and please don't let those prayers stop.

Cancer Sucks

1 comment:

  1. JoAnne, good to hear that you're keeping Kevin in line. Now beat the snot out of that damned pseudomonas. Hope each day gets steadier and easier. This is tough going, but you are tougher! Love you all lots- Denise

    PS-Cancer REALLY sucks

    ReplyDelete