Thursday, June 2, 2011

Everybody Smile!

(click on pics to enlarge)
JoAnne's cousin Marie sent a card depicting a sad, sad gathering of clowns. It looks as though one of their members may have been sent off for a stem cell transplant. They will be happy when said clown returns however. In our case, it is looking like early next week. The staff wants to make sure all the i's are dotted and t's crossed before sending JoJo home. They also don't like to do it on weekends for some reason. Just send her home in reasonably good shape. I want no problems on my watch!

She is off almost all of the IV meds. That is a solid benchmark. Being tethered to an IV pole is no way to spend 3+weeks.
   
Here is the board on the wall at the foot of JoJo's bed. She gets to look at it every waking moment. The entire key to her existence and well being, is summed up by the diagram comprised of half moon shapes in the lower right. I couldn't do justice to the doctor's explanation. In our world, keeping her numbers above the dotted line.....good. Below the dotted line.......not so good. It's going in the right direction. 

That BK virus is probably a dormant bug she picked up working at Burger King as a teen. It is where I first laid eyes on her. Romantic, yes? Our first liaison was a one on one orientation of the soft drink dispenser where I shared with her the intricacies, nuances and subtleties of high yield, low waste soft drink production. Even then she realized I was long winded. But I digress. She is getting IV immunoglobulins every other day for the next few days to boost immunities as part of the ongoing effort to control infection.
Fans of Bruce Springsteen know that Little Stevie Van Zandt of the E Street Band has been rockin' head scarves since Shep was a pup. Now we've got Beau Beau's for JoJo! They have made losing her hair a new shopping opportunity. Umm.....great. But hey, she looks good! And, it is very liberating to roll down the car windows on a nice day and not worry about the wind messing up your hair! 
Many thanks to all of you who have sent prayers, cards, emails, hands, gifts and spent time talking with us on the phone. It may not seem like much to you, but it has meant the world to JoJo and me. The kids have also been great holding down the fort for us. Speaking of kids, at least one of ours verbally objected to my comments about the Nookie Number. It seems he/she is under the illusion that he/she is the byproduct of immaculate conception and is uncomfortable thinking about his/her parents in that way. Maybe I'll let them borrow my Woodstock DVD.

Yes, I am full of words, but unless JoJo's condition changes dramatically, there is no reason to burden you with them on a daily basis. If all goes well, we will check in a few times a week. Keep the faith.

Cancer Sucks

3 comments:

  1. If no news means good news, I will strive to deal with the Beauty and the Beast withdrawl. Promise to keep the positive thoughts and prayers up on this end. Love you both-
    Denise
    PS- Cancer still sucks, but YOU ARE STRONGER (and may I say very fetching in the Beau Beau)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. posing on the bed like that means you should be Miss June of the stem cell unit - start a calendar of fabulous ladies!

    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beau Beau's for JoJo. Looks very nice. You are coming right along. I have to give Aunt Betty a call and I'll be able to tell her what's up.
    Keep up the good work JoAnne. You too Kevin.
    Love to all
    Carolyn D

    Cancer will always suck. Thank God for stem cells.

    ReplyDelete