Blog Updates
Donor Testing
Pre-transplant Evaluation
Venous Line
Photos
I added a page entitled "Why a Blog?" that can be accessed by clicking on the title listed in the left column under "The Basics". I also added a post on March 28th entitled "Donor News" that announces the results of the donor testing. If you can't find it, just click "Home" in the upper left and it will show up listed just below this message. It is also in the archive at left.
We have been hovering for awhile awaiting the results of the donor testing. They are in so its onward and upward. It turns out we had an overly simplified understanding of the selection criteria. I had reported that after identical twins, same sex siblings were the next highest priority. Of the 3 sisters and a brother who matched with JoAnne, the doctors selected her brother Bill, so there must be additional criteria that play into the decision. It is more a curiosity than anything else. We are just fortunate to A) have a very suitable donor and B) have Bill here in town which simplifies the logistics. I think he may even be able to draw his salary under the medical leave guidelines saving vacation and other personal time off for more enjoyable pursuits.
This coming Monday, JoJo will begin a rigorous 5 day pre-transplant evaluation that includes a multitude of tests including another bone marrow biopsy. She just had one at Mayo a month ago, but the U won't accept it. I am sure they have a perfectly logical explanation for that which would make no sense to any of us. She will also have to undergo some extra pulmonary testing so the doctors better understand her lung issues. They may include a bronchoscopy where a fiberoptic camera is threaded down her throat into the bronchials and lungs. It will be a tough week, but it is outpatient so she at least gets to sleep in her own bed at night.
Bill will have to undergo a half day or so of additional donor testing. When all the results are collected, we will sit down with the doctors for the pre-transplant meeting. That would occur during the week of the 11th and then it is on to transplant assuming everything is in line. We don't have a real good handle on a start date as yet, but will surely know more next week.
Somewhere along the line JoJo will have an outpatient surgical procedure to get a central venous line implanted. It is a multi-lumen catheter implanted in a blood vessel that will have to hang out of her chest wall. Because of the frequency of blood draws and injection of meds and potentially nutrition, she will be "blessed" with this constant companion for several weeks at least. It requires extra care to insure no infection and is troublesome but effective. I have suggested that she think of it as bling. Yeah. That's the ticket. Again, she has a port already implanted that satisfies the same needs, but doesn't do so with the same capacity or flexibility as the Hickman catheter we think she will be getting.
JoJo has been trying to schedule a quick session before the transplant begins with the photographer who did our daughter's wedding. She wanted a nice portrait of herself and one with the two of us. She sounded intent on getting it done. I asked her what the big deal was. She said, "If things don't go well, I would like to have a nice photo to put next to the urn at the funeral. If things do go well, we'll have a good picture of us as a couple pre-transplant. And while we're at it, maybe you should get a picture of yourself in case you need it for Match.com or eHarmony." That girl. Always looking out for me.
JoAnne is understandably apprehensive, but ready to get the show on the road. The closer we get, the more thankful we are for the prayers and fellowship coming our way. We have much to be thankful for and it helps remind us to focus on the opportunity ahead of her rather than the risks. Peace, love and let's keep the faith.
Cancer Sucks
JoAnne is understandably apprehensive, but ready to get the show on the road. The closer we get, the more thankful we are for the prayers and fellowship coming our way. We have much to be thankful for and it helps remind us to focus on the opportunity ahead of her rather than the risks. Peace, love and let's keep the faith.
Cancer Sucks
Hello JoAnn and Kevin, I am always greatful to see your updates. Sherry and I are always praying for good things for you.
ReplyDeleteI had to have the "camera down the throat" thing when I was about 40 years old and it was very interesting to see what the camera saw on the viewing screen. I was not happy with the process of getting the camera down my throat. Maybe they changed in the last 16 years and they have smaller cameras. I seem to remember thinking there was no way that giant cable was going to make it past my teeth. They sprayed some ungodly substance in my throat and told me it would numb the tissue. All it did was make me think I had been abused by the roto-rooter man and that disgusting rusty looking machine they use. Drink heavily before participating; or demand better drugs.
We will keep praying for better times and ask for kind and gentle doctors for our favorite JoAnn. Keep the faith,
Mike and Sherry Edgett
Sorry JoAnne...I just noticed I missed the "e" on your name...please forgive me.
ReplyDeleteLove Mikee
My heart continues to go out to you and my prayers continue to go up! Thank you for sharing all you do and letting us in.
ReplyDeleteWe want only the best for all of you.
Love to all
Carolyn & Mel
Cancer does suck.
Hi!
ReplyDeleteOne of the fellows that I work with has a friend at the U of M. He has leukemia (it started as large B cell lymphoma. It looks like they are trying to kill off all of the white cells and they will go from there. Cord blood and stem cell were mentioned but nothing is certain yet. I was at the U when I had the radiation sessions (23) for the B-Cell cancer I had on my face. The U was wonderful when I was there. Very efficient and effective. I hope that the same holds true for you, JoAnne. Chuck and I are thinking of you and really appreciate the updates that Kevin provides. All our love,
Chuck and Jane
God be with you today and everyday.
ReplyDeleteCarolyn & Mel
Cancer does suck.