The last couple of weeks have been about scans, blood tests, and logistics. While JoAnne has come off her lows in terms of energy levels and blood work, she remains fatigued and has limited endurance. 2 units of blood she received early last week perked her up a bit. She has also been spending a lot of time with our daughter Kelly and granddaughter Delcy. That is a boost as long as she doesn't overdo it. Regrettably, Kelly's maternity leave ended this week. Delcy is now off to daycare although the center is close, so Grandma and Grandpa can stop by any time they want.
A PET scan recently conducted determined that the chemo JoAnne endured over the last several months had been ineffective. It was a lot of pain for no gain. JoAnne's original appointment with Mayo has been moved up to Feb. 21 so we will be motoring down Sunday evening. We have been told to plan on spending 2-4 days. Our sense is that they will evaluate her to determine if she is eligible for a bone marrow transplant and/or clinical trials of investigational treatments.
As you might imagine, some tension fills the air. There can be a tendency to get ahead of yourself when operating on partial information. We are trying to keep calm and carry on. BMT may offer the potential for longer term benefits, but it carries a higher risk profile than anything JoAnne has previously attempted. It is a complicated process with difficult decisions to be made. It is probably best that we just take it one step at a time.
When I reread my thoughts, I notice how often I refer to "we" when talking about JoAnne's cancer and its attendant struggles. Why do I do that? I am not the one with cancer. Maybe I am just selfish and want people to know how much cancer aggravates me, too. Or maybe it is a subconscious effort to let her know that to the extent I can prevent it, she does not walk alone. In that regard, I can use your assistance.
Oddly, if one is fortunate, cancer becomes a long and tedious challenge. Patients, family and friends can easily get just plain tired of dealing with it and Cancer Fatigue sets in. For those other than the patient, disengaging can be a more comfortable and convenient option. I would ask that we who care about JoAnne, not fall prey to distancing ourselves. Times stand to get much tougher going forward, and JoAnne deserves considerably more than I can give her in terms of emotional support.
I once read that the height of emotional maturity is measured by one's ability to give generously without expectation of a return. If that is true, I generally operate at the 3rd grade level, but I do realize that one way to feel better about my day is to try and brighten someone else's with a kind word or thought. The notes, emails, cards and comments JoAnne receives from friends and family are invaluable. Please don't be shy. We will appreciate it and you will feel good too!
In our blog posts, we try to invoke a little humor even when dealing with an evil topic like cancer. No one needs to be concerned that the gravity of JoAnne's circumstances are lost on either of us or that we are living in a state of denial. Nor do we wish to come across as flippant. Life is a collection of moments that can be filled with anything from extreme joy to sorrow and everything in between. The measure of a life largely depends on how many of those moments end up in the plus column and how many in the negative. Cancer has brought and will continue to bring its share of sorrowful and distressing moments to our lives, but we are going to do everything we can to make sure it gets as few as possible. Your fellowship, kind thoughts and prayers go a long ways towards that end.
So, it is off to Mayo and to make it more interesting, I see where there is a winter storm warning for Sunday. We will update as information becomes available.
Cancer sucks.
Hello JoAnne and Kevin,
ReplyDeleteI am not sure if you made it out on Sunday. I was supposed to fly to Atlanta and the flight was cancelled. I hope you are safe.
Sherry and I continue our prayers and hope you stay strong. Your love is real and deep and it is something you can fall back on in times of need. My Uncle Dave passed away on February 6th from lung cancer. He was my Dad's only brother and was only 69 years old. He was loved and wanted us to remember the good limes. We celebrate his life and feel his love. He stayed positive and I miss his encouragement. Cancer sucks.
We want to make some time to visit and we will see what dates work. The updates you share are wonderful to read. They are therapeutic and we agree that distancing ourselves would do no good. We will continue praying and look forward to visiting soon.
Love and blessings,
Mike & Sherry